When it comes to being heart healthy one of the best things you can do is know your numbers. Having high blood pressure and cholesterol, for example, can greatly increase your chances of having a heart attack. Of course, you have no way of knowing you are at risk unless you get tested.
Target Numbers for Good Heart Health:
- Total Cholesterol: <200 mg/dL
- LDL “Bad” Cholesterol: <100 mg/dL
- HDL “Good” Cholesterol: 50 mg/dL or higher
- Triglycerides: <150 mg/dL
- Blood pressure: <120/80 mmHg
- Fasting Glucose: <100 mg/dL
- Body Mass Index (BMI): <25
- Waist Circumference: <35 inches
Do your heart a favor, make an appointment with your doctor and learn your numbers. For a doctor’s referral and a free heart healthy kit, call (843) 402-CARE.